Rural Development Programme

LEADER Funding Available


Community and business groups in rural Denbighshire, Flintshire or Wrexham can express an interest for financial support towards Feasibility StudiesPilot Projects, or Training / Mentoring projects.  Projects need to fit within one of the five LEADER themes:

  1. Adding value to local identity and natural and cultural resources
  2. Facilitating pre-commercial development, business partnerships and short supply chains
  3. Exploring new ways of providing non-statutory local services
  4. Renewable energy at Community level
  5. Exploitation of digital technology

LEADER can support up to 70% of a project’s costs (applicants / projects will need to have the remaining 30% match funding in place).  Eligible costs include professional fees and services, and small-scale equipment costs (no more than £10,000 inc. VAT).  LEADER fund cannot support capital projects or projects outside of the eligible rural area.  Projects need to be completed by 31 March 2023.

More information is available in the Cadwyn Clwyd LEADER Guidance Notes.  For further advice, please call 01490 340 500.

If you have a project idea, please first complete an Expression of Interest (EOI) form and email it to

LEADER 2014-2020 [extended to 30 June 2023] is a scheme within the Welsh Government Rural Communities – Rural Development Programme (RDP) 2014-2020, which is financed by the Welsh Government and European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD).  It is a scheme to explore innovative new approaches and experimental technologies to tackle poverty, create jobs, recover from Covid-19, and drive sustainable economic development.  There is a small sum of LEADER funds available before the end of the programme.

The deadline for getting Expressions of Interest (EOIs) to Cadwyn Clwyd is Friday 26th August 2022.  Full applications will then be worked up with suitable projects.