In 2005 Wrexham Museum Service acquired two trams from The Brow Golf Club Ellesmere, Shropshire. They had been acquired by the previous owner in the 1970s with a plan to restore them but had instead been converted and used as a store for the grounds men at the golf club.
The trams are an important part of Wrexham’s history. They are believed to be the only two remaining Wrexham trams of which 10 were original built by Brush Electrical Engineering. They came into service on the 4th April 1903 when the Wrexham and District Electric Tramway converted the Wrexham to Johnstown line from a horse drawn tram line to a 3’6” gauge electrified line. The trams remained in operation until the line was closed on the 31st March 1927. Today there is little evidence left of the existence of trams in Wrexham. The depot in Johnstown was used for many years following the closure of the line but has now been demolished.
Wrexham County Borough Museum Service in partnership with Cadwyn Clwyd, wish to commission a consultant to undertake a feasibility study to establish a fully costed, achievable and sustainable plan to conserve and interpret an example of Wrexham’s last tram.
This project will form stage 1 of a larger project to, based on the outcomes of the feasibility study, apply for additional funding to carry out a community heritage project to conserve and interpret one of the trams. The project will involve evaluating the significance of the trams and generating community involvement in the project.
Please submit your response directly to Karen Murdoch, Wrexham County Borough Museum & Archives, Regent Street, Wrexham, LL11 1RB by FRIDAY 4th October, 2019.